The idea of this Salon is summarised as a group of female volunteers and specialists who are interested in different cultural, political and social issues. In this Salon, viewpoints on a certain issues are discussed with professionals leading to a set of results raised to the decision makers. The importance of this Salon is expressed through its support dedicated to the cultural role played by the Omani Women Associations. This Salon is also important as it draws attentions towards the significance of women role in the development process as an essential pillar necessary for establishing a civil society.
Achievements of Omani Women Culture Salon 2015 – 2016
Political field Sessions
Achieving four sessions of participating in Shura Council with different subjects:
(The role of government institutions in enabling women and implementing recommendations of Women Symposium), (Woman Voice and Voter Dialogue), (Trust Woman Capabilities and vote), (The role of women in the Shura Council Elections in the Eighth Session), ending up with a number of recommendations, some of which have been implemented.
1. Completing two surveys on the factors affecting the woman presence in different councils and the measures necessary to increase the number of female members of Shura Council.
2. Formulating recommendations to reduce the difficulties faced by women AEs.
3- Organizing a courses on (Election Campaign Management) in collaboration with the Ministry of Social Development.
4. Communicating with female candidates to follow up their election campaign and providing them with some advices required for their election promotional programs.
5. Publishing some articles on the woman’s role in Shura Council to be broadcasted via newspapers and magazines to educate voters on the importance of Omani woman presence in Shura Council.
6. Highlighting candidates mentioned in the AL-WAHA and Bint AL-KHALEEJ magazines.
7. Giving lectures on the importance of woman presence in Shura Council.
8. Develop a phased plan to prepare trainers on political enablement.
Social Field Sessions
* Session on (Activating Girls clubs in villages and Wilayats) attended by specialists and came up with a number of recommendations.
* Addressing official authorities: (Ministry of Social Development and Ministry of Education) on the importance of allocating some school buildings for girls to run cultural activities and sports in the evening, on holidays and summer vacations.
* Obtaining the Ministry of Education approval to initially allocate (2) schools in Muscat Governorate.
* Completing a full perception for Girl clubs in terms of programs, personnel and financial cost required by a project and submitting the same to Omani Women Association.
Economics Field Sessions
A panel discussion about the (Support programs and guidelines provided to women entrepreneurs)
Information Field Sessions
- Educating women on the fact of practicing responsibility of dealing with the new media.
- Identifying the community culture level in dealing with the new media.
- Studying the efforts made by the Information and Culture Committee of Shura Council and its role in enhancing the principle of transparency and freedom of opinion.
- Highlighting the challenges facing journalistic institutions in Oman in an absence of a law of accessing to information and organizing the electronic media.
- Raising a number of recommendations contributing to increasing women’s level of culture in particular and of society in general in dealing with the new media.
- The concept of new media and methods, and its social impacts.
- Culture of dealing with a piece of information in view of the new media.
- The role of the press freedoms in promoting the concept of the new media freedom.
- The role of the Information and Culture Committee of Shura Council to legislate laws that regulate information.
- New media and its impact in misleading the concept of press freedom.
- Procedural proposals contributing to strengthen the culture of dealing with the new media.